Dasa Mahavidyas are the ten cosmic powers of universe. The ten mahavidyas or dasa mahavidyas are the most important forms of Devi Maa in Hinduism.
These are said to be manifestation of Maa Kali who is in turn a manifestation of Devi Parvati. In every form the Great Kali has differnt name. Here is the list of names & with their meanings :-
- Kali the Eternal Night, the Goddess of destruction & Time
- Tara : The Goddess Who Guides through Troubles
- Tripura-Sundari : She Who Is Lovely in the Three Worlds
- Bhuvanesvari : She Whose Body Is the World
- Chinnamasta : The Self-Decapitated Goddess
- Bhairavi : The Fierce One
- Dhumavati : The Widow Goddess
- Bagalamukhi : The Paralyzer
- Matangi : The Outcaste Goddess
- Kamala : The Lotus Goddess
These Ten Mahavidyas are known as Wisdom Goddesses. The spectrum of these ten goddesses covers the whole range of feminine divinity, encompassing horrific goddess’s at one end, to the ravishingly beautiful at the other. Mahavidya means (Maha – great; vidya – knowledge) Goddesses of great knowledge.